Nurse Call/Staff Duress
This secure facility is a heritage listed psychiatric hospital located in Wacol.
There were several technical issues that needed to be addressed and a solution developed that would encompass the following:
- EOL (End of Life) Austco Nurse Call system that needed to be maintained for at least the next 10 years
- Austco head end node controllers that were starting to randomly fail
- Austco head end node controllers were disconnecting from the closed LAN haphazardly without maintenance staff knowing the state of the connected devices
- Instability of the closed local area network
- No visibility of the field devices (node controllers, annunciators, etc.) by the onsite maintenance staff
- Upgrade of the network—this had to be done in a cost-effective manner and without significant disruption to the operational activity within the facility
- Staff Duress events, being critical for the functioning of this high secure facility, were not recorded for management/maintenance review
A significant challenge that Electrotek faced was that the existing Austco head end node controllers were ‘intelligent’ and operated on their own private LAN. As part of our overall upgrade, we had to ensure that the new/replacement non-intelligent controllers were to be connected to the facility’s LAN for the maintenance staff to monitor. In addition, the upgrade had to be executed without significant impact to the daily operation of the hospital and implemented in a staged deployment to ensure that staff were not placed at risk.
The proposal offered encompassed:
- Install a centralised ECall monitoring and reporting server in the security communications room, connected to the facilities LAN
- Replace the existing Austco head end node controllers with our non-intelligent PIC-A (Austco Protocol Interface Controller) and connected to the facility’s LAN
- Rewire the Austco annunciators and connect them to the ECall monitoring and reporting server
- Install and configure an ECall client viewer for the onsite maintenance staff in their workshop
The upgrade was implemented as per our proposal and has now been operational for over 12 months.