Nurse Call/Staff Duress
The Park – Mental Health
This secure facility is a heritage-listed psychiatric hospital located in Wacol, Queensland.
There were several technical issues that needed to be addressed and a solution developed that would encompass the following:
- EOL (End of Life) existing Nurse Call system that needed to be maintained for at least the next 10 years
- The existing head-end node controllers that were starting to randomly fail
- The existing head-end node controllers were disconnecting from the closed LAN haphazardly without maintenance staff knowing the state of the connected devices
- Instability of the closed local area network
- No visibility of the field devices (node controllers, annunciators, etc.) by the onsite maintenance staff
- Upgrade of the network – this had to be done in a cost-effective manner and without significant disruption to the operational activity within the facility
- Staff Duress events, being critical for the functioning of this highly secure facility, were not recorded for management/maintenance review.
A significant challenge that Electrotek faced was that the existing head-end node controllers operated on their own private LAN. As part of our overall upgrade, we had to ensure that the new/replacement controllers were to be connected to the facility’s LAN for the maintenance staff to monitor. In addition, the upgrade had to be executed without a significant impact on the daily operation of the hospital and implemented in a staged deployment to ensure that staff were not placed at risk.
The proposal offered encompassed:
- Install a centralised ECall monitoring and reporting server in the security communications room, connected to the facilities LAN
- Replace the existing head end node controllers with our Protocol Interface Controller and connect to the facility’s LAN
- Rewire the existing annunciators and connect them to the ECall monitoring and reporting server
- Install and configure an ECall client viewer for the onsite maintenance staff in their workshop
The upgrade was implemented as per our proposal and has now been operational for over 3 years.